As promised we are looking at how can we make our dental routine green at home. Be warned, you can seriously save a lot of money and water applying these basic recommendations.
- Water Off! As we discussed it previously, don’t leave the water running while you’re brushing your teeth. If you turn it only to rinse your mouth and your brush then you can save significantly more water. More ‘advanced techniques’ involve a small glass (see below).
- Natural Toothpaste. Yumm. If you are at the store buying your new toothpaste, pick a natural one rather than what you have now. Natural toothpaste is biodegradable and it also helps to stay our water fresh and clear.
- Plant Your Toothbrush! If you already bought a natural toothpaste, don’t miss the composting (or biodegradable) toothbrush. These brushes are typically made of bio materials (like corn starch) – with some types you can even use for your garden!
- Gently With Your Teeth. Be gentle with your teeth; don’t brush too hard on your gums. You can not only save your gums, it will also make your toothbrush last a lot longer, saving you quite a few bucks and reducing waste.
- Floss. Seriously. If you floss regularly, you can prevent any extensive dental work in the future, saving you a lot of money and reducing the amount of harmful materials and chemicals most traditional dentists use.
- Glassy Business. So you turned off the tip. Sweet! Now you may wonder if there is a more effective way to get a reasonable amount of water. It is called: a glass. Having brushed your teeth twice a day the amount can easily reach up to 13 litres of water per day – adding up to 145,000 litres a year… If you use a small glass of water, you do a big favour to our planet Earth! In case you were wondering, here is the action list for the process:
1) Fill a small glass with water
2) Wet your toothbrush by putting it to your glass for a second
3) Put, the obviously natural, toothpaste to your, obviously biodegradable, toothbrush
4) Brush your teeth for 2 minutes. Remember. Gently!
5) Rinse with water from the glass. Swish if you like.
6) Well done! Be proud that you did something good to our planet!